Friday, October 8, 2010

Little Brother's Jacket

He may be considered the "little" brother because of birth order but there is nothing little about my little man! The kids wear the same size and they both wanted me to make jackets which I had never done before.

With his version I experimented a bit more (with technique). I still wanted a fun lining but I added a cord facing. I thought it would keep it more clean looking. I also played around with the sleeves which don't show.

Then I had to add the blue plane buttons to go with the lining and the under collar. Of course that is not in keeping with a pea coat but that is okay.


And I learned that the moment I start gloating to myself about how easy these new techniques were then I made multiple errors. The seam ripper was my friend. Or enemy.

But I look forward to making more of these coats.

But not the pockets. I still do not like pockets--my son uses them for things like rocks and mud.

9 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh this jacket is great! I love the reverse collar and the fun lining Well done. I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

Splendid Little Stars said...

It's fantastic, Erika! love the lining! You are so creative and talented!

Duni said...

Erika, your kids coats are adorable! The grape one with the flower buttons is really cute and I love the lining on the boys' coat! I can see they are made with love and dedication :)

PaisleyJade said...

Loving your creations!

elsie said...

omgosh that little coat is adorable and the lining on the inside of the collar - what a wonderful detail!

Abi said...

Wow! it's an amazing jacket! I wish I could sew like this. You are sooo clever!

Abi said...

Thank you Erika!
The ribbon isn't cheap - but I do love it - so original! she normally has much much more, but has only just reopened her store. Some would look great as accent pieces on your garments!

Hope you have a splendid weekend
Abi x

Unknown said...

These jackets are great Erika.
Wonderful work.
Kyles =D

Artifact Andrea said...

Cute little boys jacket; love the airplane buttons. :-)

Follow you, follow me; I enjoy blog comments and new followers.

_Andrea
http://storybookartifact.blogspot.com/